Termites are serious pests that can be tricky to get rid of for good. They travel in large colonies that can range from 500,000 to 5,000,000. The Florida Department of Agriculture reported in 2006 that termites cost consumers more than $700,000,000 annually due to termite damage, repair, and control.
Your home is a serious investment and you want to keep protected. A few tips to keeping termites out include:
- Don’t affix wooden trellises to exterior walls.
- Keep wood debris, scrap lumber, sawdust and firewood away from your home. If you do keep firewood outside your house during the winter, keep it raised and off the ground.
- Don’t stack, store or bury wood debris adjacent to your home.
- Trim all shrubs, bushes and other dense greenery away from the foundation of your home.
- Remove infested trees and stumps.
- Repair leaking faucets and water lines, both indoors and outdoors.
- Fix leaky roofs and gutters.
- Don’t allow leaves to accumulate in gutters and drains.
- Grade soil so that water (including air-conditioning condensation) runs away from foundations.
- Ventilate crawl spaces and attics to reduce humidity.
- Remove all wood to soil contact.
- Cover at least 90% of the soil in crawl spaces with plastic sheeting.
- Ideally, wood siding, stucco and foam board should be at least six inches away from the ground.
- Seal all cracks and holes in your home’s foundation, which may provide a handy access point for termites.
Our Orlando pest control solutions are designed to protect your home and family. And Drake offers Lifetime Termite Protection for your home with $1 Million worth of coverage. Contact Drake to schedule a Free inspection or to learn more about this service.